Before you can manufacture the metal components you require for an upcoming project, you need to select an appropriate casting method. Sand casting is one of the most widely used casting methods, offering cost-effective and consistent results. At J. Walter Miller, we offer sand casting services near Lancaster, PA. Whether you need a sand casting foundry to fulfill an order that's large or small, simple or complex, we can help.
What Is Sand Casting?
Sand casting is a casting process that uses sand molds to form complex metal parts. In the sand casting process, a foundry will create a custom mold based on a pattern — a full-sized model of a part used to make an impression in the sand. After a mold is created, the foundry pours molten metal into it to form the desired part. Sand molds can be used only one time. That said, sand casting still proves efficient and cost-effective compared to other casting methods.
Some of the benefits of sand casting include:
- Strength: Sand molds hold their form and withstand exposure to extreme heat.
- Consistency: Sand's consistency allows it to fill small cavities in a pattern, which is ideal for creating detailed parts free of defects.
- Reusability: After a finished part is broken out of a sand mold, the sand can be conditioned and recycled for use in future molds.
Sand Casting Applications
You can use the sand casting process to create a wide range of products, from consumer goods to components for heavy machinery. At J. Walter Miller, we can sand cast products such as sprinkler heads, pump parts, switch gears and connectors. Some of the industries compressed sand casting foundries can serve include:
- Fluid management
- Military and defense
Sand Casting Equipment and the Manufacturing Process
Although people have been using sand casting to manufacture metal products for many years, getting a high-quality result requires expertise and specialized equipment. At J. Walter Miller, we have both. With ISO 9001:2015 certification, we work to ensure perfection at each stage of the process:
- Mold making: The casting process begins with mold making, which involves pressing sand around two halves of a pattern. Patterns act as a model for the object being cast.To ensure the highest quality casting, the pattern must be suited for mold type and metallic properties. Before pouring, we'll secure the mold halves together tightly.
- Pouring:Next, we will pour the alloy of your choice into the sand molds. After heating to a set temperature in a furnace, the metal will flow into a pouring basin and gradually fill the mold through gates and risers.
- Removal: After a cooling period, we'll break the sand molds and remove the castings. The final step can involve trimming away excess material and shot blasting to remove remaining sand.
We use automated machinery throughout the casting process to keep our costs competitive and our lead times short.
What Is Green Sand?
Not all sand has the right consistency for sand casting. Green sand is an aggregate of sand, water, bentonite clay and combustibles specifically designed to provide high-quality results in sand casting.
Our Green Sand Casting Capabilities
Using our green sand foundry production process, we can manufacture brass and bronze castings using a wide range of alloys. Our automated machinery quickly produces metal castings that weigh between 1 ounce and 70 pounds and measure between 1/8 inch by 1/8 inch by 1/8 inch and 8 inches by 16 inches by 18 inches. If you're looking for sand casting foundries in Pennsylvania capable of meeting your expectations for quality, reach out to us today.